Over 85% of the land in England and Wales is registered at the Land Registry and the Land Registry has already registered 23 million titles.
If the property you own is not registered at the Land Registry we strongly recommend that you make a voluntary application to register it… why?
Reasons to Register
• It brings your ownership up to date, enables you to identify your holdings, and consolidates and stores relevant information in one place.
• It can identify problems which can be sorted out now. It’s not fair to leave it to your heirs who may not know what you know now, in any case, it’s cheaper to deal with such things sooner rather than later in the long run.
• It provides simpler access to the property details and plans in future. This makes it easier and faster (and so cheaper!) to deal with a sale or other dealing with the property.
• Your ownership is guaranteed by the Land Registry. The loss of unregistered deeds can make it difficult (sometimes impossible) to prove you own your property.
• It makes it harder for people to encroach on your property and successfully claim ownership of the land occupied.
• Buyers and lenders increasingly expect land to be registered before buying or lending.
• Land Registry is currently giving discount on voluntary registration applications. For example if your property is worth between £100,001 and £200,000 the normal fee of £190 is reduced to £140.
Is my property registered?
If we already hold your deeds we’ll be able to tell you.
If you’ve got your deeds you can make an appointment, bring them to see one of our conveyancing team and they’ll be pleased to let you know.
If you’ve access to the internet you may wish to use the Land Registry’s online checker at www.landregistry.gov.uk
How do I do it?
You can do it yourself! You could contact Land Registry and they are there to help.
However, you may find it simpler to let your solicitor (us!) do it for you. We’ll be pleased to do so and will estimate our costs for you at the outset.
For most ordinary domestic property our charge is currently £195 + vat and the applicable Land Registry fee.
If problems arise which would raise those costs we will tell you and seek your approval before proceeding.
Once registered we’ll give you the new title information document and the old deeds to keep.
For further information, please contact us by clicking here.