The Court of Protection and Office of the Public Guardian together deal with the affairs of those who are vulnerable due to mental incapacity or youth.

If you have planned ahead an Enduring Power of Attorney or Lasting Power of Attorney is a quicker and cheaper way of giving some-one of your choice power to deal with your financial affairs.
If there is no Power of Attorney or your attorneys are unable to act then :

Appointment of a deputy

A deputy is authorised by the Court of Protection to administer the financial affairs of some-one who is unable to do so themselves, under the supervision of the court. The deputy’s powers are set out by the Court of Protection and, if they are insufficient, a further application has to be made by the court

The Court can make a specific order of the court:

  • To make a gift
  • To make a will
  • To deal with a particular problem or asset